Tuesday, September 05, 2006

God loves evolution!

I would like to recommend that everyone read The Language of God by Francis S. Collins. Dr. Collins is the director of the human genome project (one of the top scientists in the world) and also a Christian (who started out as an atheist). In the book he addresses the interaction between science and religion, explaining how science helped lead him to God and also how science (yes evolution!) is compatible with and even enhances religion! It is very readable, written so that those without a background in science will have no problem keeping up, but also very satisfying to me as a Christian scientist to find someone else who shares my views so completely.

Whether or not you are a Christian, and whether or not you accept evolution, if you care at all about issues of science and religion, this is a book you have to read. I would love to lend a copy to anyone who is interested in reading it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I keep reading about Francis Collins in magazine and news articles -- I think he's doing a tremendous job of being a resource for both the Christian and the scientific community. He's using the powerful position he's in for a really great cause -- and I think it's really admirable. Because of his job title, he certainly gets a lot of press -- I wonder how many others in his place would just shrink from the responsibility.

I'm interested in reading that book sometime, but it doesn't have to be soon (if someone else wants to borrow it first, that's fine with me). Thanks for the post!