Friday, June 15, 2007

Fun name link

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

I'm not expecting a baby anytime soon, but this website has a really fun interactive graph that shows the popularity of different names over time. (It goes as far back as the 1880s.) You can look at a specific name or parts of a name (for example all the names that start with Li" and you can look at each gender separately or together. I wasted way too much time playing around with it just looking at all the cool trends. :) For instance, the name Jessica had a peak in popularity around the time I was born but has since died off while Emma was popular around the turn of the century, almost disappeared for a while, and now is really popular again.

(Yes I am a nerd.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of fun to play with. I found "James" to be the most interesting. It was hugely popular until the 1950s and it's been on decline ever since.

-NC