Friday, July 15, 2005

Car, house, hockey

I drove up to EL last night to have my car serviced and the engine cleaned (since they messed up on my last oil change and the cap came off, spilling oil all over everything in the motor). I also got to spend a little time with my EL friends which was cool, since I miss all you guys!

My frustration for the day is with moving, which is supposed to happen tomorrow. I am moving from an apartment in the bird sanctuary to a house of my own (ironically the same one Natalie lived in when she was here.) The problem is, the previous tenant's lease at my new house expired in April, and she was given 60 days to find a new place and move out. So, she was supposed to be gone by June 30. Now, here it is July 15 and she still has stuff there and isn't finished cleaning. I was told I could move in on July 16, but she won't even be gone by then. She just asked if she could have the morning tomorrow to finish cleaning and have me move in the afternoon. The excuse given as to why it is taking her so long to move out is that she works full time and she has to do a lot of cleaning, work, etc. at her new place too. However, she has been there for 76 days since her lease expired!!! You would think in 76 days she could get all her stuff moved and clean the place. Its not like she only had a few days warning. And even though she works full time, I count 10 weekends during that span when she could have done the work. Heck, there have been two weekends for her to work on moving since the day she was SUPPOSED to be gone by. This has been a big frustrating issue this summer, and I will be very glad when I finally get moved and don'' have to deal with this anymore. I plan on being at my new house for the next several years, so it will be nice to be able to settle down in one place a little bit. This will be my 9th move in the past 2 1/4 years. Yuck I am sick of moving!

In hockey news, the Wings hired a new coach: Mike Babcock, who coached in Anaheim the past few years (you know the year they swept us in the first round of the playoffs!) and before that for Cincy in the AHL. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess I figured Lewis would be fired since he didn't win in the playoffs, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Babcock either. I mean, Anaheim didn't even make the playoffs in 2004. But I guess he is supposed to be good with developing younger guys, which he will have to do because we have to dump a lot of our veterans to fit under the new salary cap. Also, every team is going to have a chance in the draft lottery to draft first, so there is a chance that we might get to pick fairly high this year. Of course, we could still be near the bottom, but thats where we always are so its not like we are losing anything. The team whose ball gets picked first gets Sidney Crosby, rumored to be the next Wayne Gretsky, and we do have like a 2% chance of getting him. You never know... :-)

1 comment:

Al said...

Given that I usually move every 70-270 days, 76 days to get out of a place does seem a bit outrageous. Send an e-mail if you need help moving.