Friday, July 29, 2005

Harry Potter 6

Okay, I admit, I love Harry Potter. I mean, I'm not the crazy "dress up and stand in line at midnight and then read the book all night" type of fan. I'm more the "read each book soon after it comes out and discuss with friends" type. So, I have some issues I'd like to air about the recently released book 6.

WARNING: Do not keep reading this post if you haven't read book 6 yet. There will be spoilers.

Overall, I liked book 6. Much better than 5. 3 is still my favorite, but I'll have to read 6 again to decide exactly where it slots in compared to 1, 2, and 4.

My big issue though is with Snape killing Dumbledore. I mean, I figured Dumbledore was the one who was going to get offed in this book, because Harry needs to be all by himself without anyone to protect him in order to confront Voldemort in book 7. However, I was so upset that Snape ended up killing him, because I was sure Snape was on the good side. The thing I liked most about the character of Snape was that while he was not a nice guy at all and you really disliked him at times, he still was (supposedly) on the good team. Books like this can tend to be very black and white as far as who is good and who is bad, and it is nice to have a couple of "grey" characters. (Plus Snape is just a cool character all around. Probably my favorite after Sirius.) But now my whole idea of the Harry Potter world has been shattered! I couldn't believe Snape had actually done it, even when I read the words Avada Kedavra. I can't figure out how Dumbledore (and I) could be so wrong about Snape and part of me still thinks that in book 7 we will find out that all was not as it seemed in that last confrontation. I hope at least.

And finally, I think that R.A.B. is Sirius' brother. You heard it here first, don't try to take credit for my brilliant epiphany! We will see if I'm right whenever she gets around to publishing that last book. (I'm sure she'll take her sweet old time!) :-(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Blogger officially sucks. Even LJ lets me use html/css to hide spoilers, and LJ is as ghetto as they come.

That [theory you have about who's good and who's bad] also occurred to me, although I can't say I've figured out how that works.

As for RAB... well... if we're just makings stabs in the dark, that seems as good as any. It's gotta be someone totally new I figure.

I've heard "2 years" before book 7... maybe we'll get movie 5 in by then.

Lindsey said...

RAB is not a stab in the dark exactly. It has to be a death eater since he/she refers to Voldemort as the Dark Lord. Sirius' brother’s first name started with an R (Remulus maybe? I can't think of the whole thing and I gave the book back to Katie) and he was a death eater. Plus I don't think it would be a character she hadn't even mentioned yet. (She likes to tie things in later books back to little details that she mentioned earlier. Like Sirius giving Hagrid the flying motorcycle that he used to bring baby Harry to Dumbledore in book 1, before we had any clue who Sirius was.)

So anyway, we know his initials were R. B. at least (can't remember if we know a middle name). We know he was a death eater, and I think he was killed by them because he did something wrong, although I can't remember what exactly without the book to look it up. I think it is a reasonable theory. ;-)

MattyA said...

I couldn't agree with you more about Snape. I remember stopping and re-reading that scene about 4 times because I simply could not believe he actually did it. The thing I've always loved about the Snape character in the books is that we all have people in our lives who bug us, who rub us the wrong way, who generally piss us off, but we're supposed to like them anyway. I could relate to Harry's frustration when Dumbledore kept telling him to respect and trust Snape. It stinks when you have to respect someone you don't like, but the ability to do so is a sign of strong character. Now Rowling has gone and recast things in simple black and white, as you said. Such a pity.

PS I'm glad I stumbled across your blog, thanks to Katie. I hope all is going well.